It’s fall, so like the “basic” that I am, I’m in complete weather-heaven. The breeze has finally picked up. The air is crisp. Booties and boots get dusted off and finally cover these poorly manicured toes. (A pregnant belly is not conducive to a lot a of polish changes.) On top of that, all my favorite flavors await me in every recipe I find. For this one, the first in a while I’ll admit, it was a bit a of trial and error but I think I’ve gotten it down to share.
Here’s what you need for this edible bowl of comfort:
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb chicken sausage (If you aren’t a fan of sausage, because you’re INSANE, just use ground turkey and add a little more spices.)
- 1 packet of broccoli and rice
- 1 apple
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese (The original recipe called for Colby Jack, but I like Parmesan is better.)
The instructions vary, but being a “get it done fast” type of gal, I went with the handy, dandy microwave. (While oven-roasted flavors are lovely, they aren’t really appreciated by 3 year olds, so I say we can skip it.)
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Microwave two halves at a time until soft. (It’s seriously around 5-7 minutes.)
- Brown the sausage and cook the rice per package instructions and then combine in large bowl with all your spices.
- Chop your apple and add to bowl with the meat and rice mixture. Stir it all together.
- Spoon mixture into squash and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Place in the microwave for an additional 3 minutes until cheese melts. (Or throw in oven for that crispy cheese topping.)