So… Almost two years ago, I got a picante chicken recipe from a friend and I just last night finally tried it, with my own twist, of course. It was the easiest prep-work for a meal I’ve ever done. And Bear said we could add it to the rotation, which I’ve quickly learned is the highest compliment.
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 can of green enchilada sauce (I love cooking with this stuff. I don’t know what the deal is, but something about it is just so yummy!)
- jalapeno slices (I like to buy the canned ones in the aisle with the pickles. They’re not as spicy as fresh peppers and they keep longer.)
- non-fat cream cheese
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. As it warms, take that time to pound out your chicken breasts so they are thin and season them with cumin, salt, and pepper. (Always season your meats, folks! It makes the biggest difference.) Then pour a little bit of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of a casserole dish and place the breasts on top of the sauce.
- Spread the cream cheese on top of each breast, just enough to cover the top surface as best as possible. (It doesn’t need to be perfectly spread, and you’ll see that it’s actually a little difficult to spread evenly and perfectly, so don’t get bogged down in this part.)
- After the breasts are covered with cream cheese, our a little more enchilada sauce on top of them and then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. At the 20 minute mark, pull out the dish and remove the foil. Before placing it back in the oven, top each breast with jalapenos. Cook uncovered for another 20-40 minutes. (The timing here depends on the amount of enchilada sauce you started with. If you used a lot, they’ll need to cook longer. Keep that in mind, friends.)
- While that bakes, mix up salsa and sour cream, half and half. It makes for a good dipping sauce, which Bear always has to have for some reason. (Last night, as the side, I just heated up some instant rice and this salsa/sour cream combo was soooo good with mixed in with the rice. I might consider some kind of casserole with that whole situation later on.)
Congrats! You’ve just made a healthy, easy, weeknight meal that EVERYONE will enjoy! (Especially you because you didn’t have to slave over a stove all the live long day! Am I right?!?!)